← Back to Courses
Stages of Development – 10 years plus
- Most males start going through puberty after age 10/11. These will probably be emotional (mood swings etc.) to begin with & you may not notice any physical changes. Wet dreams may start once the body begins producing sperm, not all males will experience these
- Most females will begin puberty earlier than males. As with males the onset of puberty may not be obvious at first
- 12 is the average age for females to start their periods (although many start younger)
- Adolescents will be receiving many different mixed messages & start to become more influenced by media & peers
- Sexual feelings may begin around 10 to 12 years old and both males & females may start masturbating & develop crushes
- By 13/14 most will be attracted to the opposite or same sex. Some may feel worried or confused about fancying people of the same sex or both sexes.
- Romantic & maybe sexual relationships will begin.
- More independence from family & more time spent with friends (unsupervised)
- Using mobile phones & internet more often and unsupervised (apps and social media)
- Adolescents may start to become more private and secretive about their behaviour, especially if they feel they might be judged