Tayside Hepatitis and Harm Reduction Specialist Service
The Hepatitis and Harm Reduction Specialist Service is made up of medical staff, nursing staff, pharmacists and other specialties. The team provide both in-patient and out-patient care for all aspects of viral hepatitis management and a community based harm reduction service.
Viral Hepatitis Service
The Viral Hepatitis Service supports people with a diagnosis of hepatitis B (HBV) or hepatitis C (HCV), providing specialist assessment and treatment for both conditions.
Harm Reduction Service
Tayside Harm Reduction Service provides specialist nursing input and support to people who inject drugs (PWID) across Tayside. The service plays an integral role in reducing the harms associated with injecting drug use for people. The aims of the specialist service are to:
- Reduce and prevent blood borne virus (Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B and HIV) transmission
- Reduce wound site infections
- Reduce hospital admissions related to ulcerated wounds
- Support individuals into BBV and drug treatment
- Reduce drug related deaths and near fatal overdose